The award of a PhD scholarship will be based on the quality of your PhD research proposal and your qualities as a researcher. The proposed PhD research topic must both fit within, and explicitly contribute to, the Faculty Research Programme tWIST – towards Wellbeing, Innovation and Spatial Transformation. Both the fit and the contribution will be an explicit consideration in the evaluation of the PhD proposal. Whether you have been able to secure the commitment of a tWIST professor to work with you as a supervisor is also part of the evaluation.
Worth of Award
You enrol in the PhD Scholarship Programme and receive a scholarship of € 2,120 per month (gross) from the University of Groningen.
In order to apply for the fully-funded PhD scholarship you should have the following qualifications:
- a (Research) Master degree in Cultural or Economic Geography, Real Estate, Planning, Demography, or a related social science discipline
- excellent study results
- good writing skills and fluency in English; preferably experience in academic writing
- interdisciplinary affinity with social sciences and a keen interest in topics related to the Faculty’s research program
- strong conceptual thinking with the desire and capacity to relate theoretical topics to practical challenges and solutions
- strong motivation, good communicative skills, proactive and independent work attitude
- strong planning skills, good in organizing its own work and related activities
- a great drive and enthusiasm; being passionate.
How to Apply
You may apply for this opportunity by using the application form.
They ask you to:
- write a motivation letter (no more than 1 page) about why you want to become a PhD researcher (Letter of Motivation attachment)
- add your CV (CV attachment)
- add the results (grades) of your Research Master or Master program (Certificate of Academic degree attachment)
- write a PhD proposal; you are allowed to ask for help from potential supervisors, but the proposal must be your own. Please structure your application according to the RUG RSI Research Proposal format.
- initiate contact with a potential supervisor at the faculty
- if a potential supervisor has indeed been working with you on your proposal, it is important that you make your own original contribution to the proposal very clear (Extra attachment).
For information you can contact:
Please do not use the e-mail address(es) above for applications.
Deadline: Application is open until until May 23, 11.59pm/before May 24, 2019 Dutch local time (CET)